Friday 23 March 2012

Claudio gives up

Claudio has discharged me.  Not because I am better, but because I am not. 

When I saw him yesterday and again reported that I still have an achey/cramping feeling in my hamstring tendon, he again looked fiercely concerned and again said 'That's not right. You should be better by now.'  He again spent an hour doing his osteopathic thing to my plantar fascia, my calf, my hamstring, and my hip and, at the end of the hour, literally threw his hands up in the air and said that there wasn't anything more that he could do for me. 

He did, however, finally admit that I do have a leg length discrepancy.  FFS, I told him that at our very first appointment.  Just because I am a hypochondriac doesn't mean that I don't know what I'm talking about.  Anyway, he thought - surprise, surprise - that the extra effort that my shorter leg has to put out to keep up with its longer friend might be the reason why my muscles on that side never seem to relax and why all of his good work gets undone between appointments.  He said that he could see me for years and I'd never get any better unless the underlying issues were addressed and recommended that I see a podiatrist about orthotics. 

I suppose that I appreciate his ethical stance about not taking my money if he really can't help, but surely I should have had a say in this decision as well?  I think that his treatments were making a difference and I would have been happy to continue to see him...I feel like I've been assessed and found wanting.

But life goes on.  As does my rehab.  I bumped into Adam in the car park at the gym this afternooon and we had a brief chat about Claudio dumping me.  Adam remains optimistic for my eventual recovery, doesn't seem overly concerned that I still have residual achiness, and said that we'll talk about whether orthotics are the right course of action when we have our next appointment on Monday. 

I'm not all alone in the injury wilderness just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment