Sunday 19 August 2012

Summer runnin'

My usual running attire in the summer consists of 3/4 length running tights and a t-shirt that is long enough to cover my bum.  Sometimes I wear a jacket as well.  This is Scotland, after all, and summer runs tend to be not so different from winter runs.

But its been so hot lately that I've had to give in and break out the running shorts.  They're not as short as the shorts worn by those women Olympic runners - those weren't shorts; in fact, they were smaller than most of my pants - but they are short enough to expose bits of my legs that haven't seen the light of day in years.  And I've had to resort to just a vest top, not only to try to keep cool but to try to undo the farmer's tan that I was developing.

I feel incredibly self-conscious in them and try to do my runs at a time of day when there's minimal risk of anyone seeing me, but on those occasions when a car has driven past or someone on a bicycle has overtaken me or I've wibble-wobbled my way past someone out for a walk, I've been heartened that no one has laughed, snickered, pointed, crashed, or tried to video me for posting on YouTube.  Or if they did, at least they were subtle about it.

Anyway, body anxiety aside, the running is going well.  I had kept my long run at 5 miles for a couple of weeks but today I increased it to 6 miles.  My long slow run pace is now a comfortable 11:00 to 11:30 minute mile, and the pace of my other runs is coming along nicely.  I even managed to run a 9:30 minute mile last week, which pleased me immensely.

I wouldn't be me if I didn't have some niggle or another, and this week's entry is an achey bit half-way between my left ankle and calf on the outside of my leg. It comes and goes during the run and doesn't make me change my gait, so I figure it's nothing to worry about.  Plus, when I get my Chi Running form right, the ache goes away.

It did cross my mind to try wearing my compression socks when I'm running, but shorts, a vest, and lime green knee-high socks really might bring some unwanted attention (and not in a good way).  Plus, think of the tan lines.  Oh, the horror!

No comments:

Post a Comment