Tuesday 29 January 2013

Back on my feet

I had a cramp.  That is the definitive word from Adam, pronounced after he poked and prodded and made me squeak with pain.  There's no sign of any injury, just some slightly tired and stiff muscles.  He said that it can take 2 or 3 weeks before a severely cramped muscle completely recovers, but that it's fine to continue running my usual distances as long as I am SENSIBLE.

Rather than assume, I did ask.  Apparently SENSIBLE in this context means no tempo runs for at least this week.  Our conversation went something like this:

Adam:  Why do you need to run that pace?
Me:  Because I want to.
Adam:  No, why is it important?
Me:  Umm, because I enjoy it?
Adam (big sigh):  No, WHAT DOES IT ADD TO YOUR TRAINING AT THIS POINT???

Just like (a very slow) David Rudisha
Oh.  He didn't really shout, but I could hear the capital letters anyway.  And, once I realised that he wasn't saying don't do tempo runs ever again in your entire life, I conceded that he was right.  It's more important to let my calf recover than to pretend that I'm David Rudisha.  It's getting to the finish line that is important, not what I do in any individual run.  Sensible.

So, after a very slow 1 mile test run on the treadmill yesterday, I resumed my training programme today.  It was only a 2 mile easy run so wasn't going to be a huge stress on my calf.  Just as well it was a short run, as my legs were exhausted from Adam's pummelling (and possibly from the champagne that flowed freely at last night's Dinner at Lizzie's) and probably would have struggled with a longer distance.  I'm optimistic that my happy legs will be back for Thursday's 6 mile meander.

Whew.  Crisis averted.

2 comments:

  1. Adam sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone who can get me to change my behaviour so that I end up doing the opposite of what I really want to do is deserving of great respect!

    ReplyDelete