Wednesday 4 July 2012

A lovely achilles

Happy calf!
I have been given the all-clear by Julie the Physio!  My calf hasn't bothered me in weeks, aside from some very minor and very occasional twingeing which I just ignore, so I was not surprised to receive official confirmation that I am All Better.  There was no pain at all when Julie dug her fingers into my calf (aside from the actual pain associated with someone digging their fingers into your calf), and she couldn't feel any adhesions at all.  Hurrah!

Also a lovely Achilles
 I asked Julie about the achilles tendon soreness that I've experienced during and after the last couple of runs.  She had a good feel of both tendons, including what felt like sticking her fingers behind them.  Best not to think too closely about that...Anyway, there was no pain, tenderness, or even discomfort, no matter how hard she poked.  In fact, I apparently have 'a lovely achilles.'  Huh.  Who knew?  I was very pleased to hear that, after all of my various achilles problems over the years, the tendons are still smooth and slender with no signs at all of lumps, bumps, or scarring.  Again, hurrah!

This helps to confirm my hypothesis that the various niggles that I'm feeling are related to my new Chi way of running.  It will take time for my muscles, tendons, and even joints to adapt to being used in a different way and I need to be careful not to do too much, too soon.  Patience patience patience.  Blah blah blah.  As long as it all comes together in time for the Aviemore Half Marathon on 14 October, I'll give it all the time it needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment