Thursday 10 May 2018

Just the facts, please

I was going to write a long whingeing post about my right heel pain but, frankly, I'm tired of hearing myself go on about it.  However, in the interests of keeping track of my injuries and niggles in case they reappear in the future, I will just report the facts:
  • I've had a lot of pain in my right heel pad for the last two weeks.  The discomfort is more or less manageable while I'm actually running but afterwards and first thing in the morning, it's very very very painful.
  • Adam's best guess is that it's related to all of the not-quite-broken-toe limping that I've been doing while walking and also to probably unconsciously changing my gait while running in an attempt to protect my toe.
  • He also assured me that the problem doesn't originate in the plantaris or the plantar fascia, and that it's not a bone spur.  (I had never heard of the latter, but Adam made me promise not to consult Dr Google.  So far, I've resisted the urge.)  He thinks that I've bruised the tissues around my heel bone and just need to give it time to settle.
  • So, on Adam's advice and with the support of Ben, I didn't run yesterday.  Amazingly, and due entirely to Adam's efforts on Tuesday, this morning was the first morning since this started that I've been able to put weight on my heel when I've first gotten out of bed.  And while there's still a vague ache, it's nothing like it was.  I even felt like I could try a short run.  I shared that enthusiasm with Adam who responded with 'ABSOLUTELY NOT!' and, because I am a cooperative patient who has learned from past mistakes, I spent the day sitting on the sofa with my only walking being to the kitchen to check out the biscuit supply.  So, no running today either.
  • And I'm not running tomorrow because even if my heel feels ready, what with my Saturday and Sunday runs, that would mean that I'd be running three days in a row and even I know that would be a run too far.  Hopefully, these three days of rest will allow me to tackle the weekend's long (but not Big) runs with a happier foot. 
Why long but not Big runs, I hear you ask?  Because after last week's total of 45 miles, I am now officially tapering.  Two weeks and one day to go.

Huh.  Pretty much like training, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment