Sunday 25 February 2018

Moving right along...

It appears that my foot injury is over before it even started.  My visit to Adam, coupled with not running until yesterday, seems to have been all that was needed to let things settle.  The lump is still there and it still hurts if I press on it ('then stop pressing on it!' I hear you say), but it doesn't hurt when I run and that is all that matters.  I'll keep an eye (a finger?) on it just in case it morphs into something massive but otherwise, I will erase all thoughts of it from my mind.

The extra rest did my legs some (brief) good.  I felt light and springy for the first half of Saturday's threshold session (2x8 minutes Kenyan Hills - which requires running up a hill for 60 seconds at threshold pace and then back down the hill at threshold pace, and repeating for 8 minutes - with another 8 minute threshold run along the flat added on after each Kenyan Hill set); by the second half, though, I was back to my more familiar 'argh, I'm going to die!' mode.  Fortunately, I'm a lot better now at realising that these thoughts are just in my head and have nothing to do with what's happening with my legs, so I just carried on.

Today's run was 150 hilly off-road minutes where it was just about time on feet.  I started off with 25 minutes running/5 minutes walking and repeated this three times, then got annoyed because all of my walk breaks were coinciding with the downhill sections - what's the point in having walk breaks if you can't walk up the bloody hills?  I therefore switched to 9 minutes running/1 minute walking to maximise the possibility that at least some of the walk breaks would coincide with at least some of the uphills.  This had the desired effect and, all things considered, it ended up being a very enjoyable run on a crisp, clear, sunny winter's day.

It's nice to be back on my feet.
Today's run, brought to you by the lovely & comfortable Brooks Cascadia 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment