Tuesday 6 March 2018

Never in a million bazillion years...


would I have thought that I could do what I did last weekend.  My running schedule called for two hours on Saturday, followed by three hours on Sunday (and this after running on Tuesday and Wednesday as well).  I felt incredibly nervous but, as Ben says, I can complain about it but I still have to do it.  So I did it.

I ran the two hours on Saturday on the road just for something different.  This was the longest run yet in my Saucony Rides and they felt great - no blisters, cushy, and my calves really seem to like being back in a slightly lower heel-toe drop shoe - and I am hopeful that I have found my new marathon distance road shoes.  I did a big loop from the house that took in views across the Cromarty Firth to the snow-covered hills beyond, and then ran out-and-back along the Cromarty Road itself with more views of water and hills.  My legs felt strong and I had to remind myself to keep it at an easy pace because I HAD THREE MORE HOURS TO DO ON SUNDAY.

I was out the door at 7.30am on Sunday because I needed to fit this run in before flying to Shetland later that afternoon.  I wasn't sure what to expect from my legs, and I was pleased that they felt okay...well, they did until I actually started to run.  And then I got a huge 'WTF?' message from them.  Already tired legs + a steady incline for the first two miles + enough snow to cover the stones (making me mince my way along the path) = cursing, whingeing, sniveling, and threatening myself with turning around and going home.  Fortunately, I am getting much better at ignoring my inner toddler (although I still didn't see how I was going to drag such uncooperative legs around a three-hour route) and just carried on.

I was utterly surprised when, after the first walking break at 25 minutes, everything kind of clicked into place.  My mood lifted, my legs relaxed, and the rest of the run was most enjoyable.  My task had been to use a 25 minute run/5 minute walk strategy and I mostly stuck to that aside from when I briefly and briskly walked up parts of some of the steeper hills.  (According to Ben, this is 'working with the terrain,' which sounds much nicer than 'too lazy to push myself.')  My legs went through the occasional tired patch but nothing too horrible and, at the end of the three hours, I could have happily carried on. Within a couple of hours, the worst of the post-run aching had disappeared and by the next day, all that was left was some residual tightness in my calves.

I am feeling a sense of bemusement as I write this.  This is not something that I ever expected to be able to do and it still doesn't feel quite real, but I'm trying to enjoy every step.  Even the ones that hurt.



No comments:

Post a Comment