Saturday 24 March 2018

Struck down (sort of) at the final hurdle

I have a cold. 

After months of training - months of SUCCESSFUL training, I might add - and months of doing everything that I possibly can to get myself to the start line in one piece, I have been felled by a bloody cold.  FFS.  I knew from a raging sore throat that it was coming on last week but told myself that if I could just get my last two long runs in, I'd have two weeks in which to recover from any unwellness that was lurking.  And while it's true that there were two weeks, I had forgotten that my colds (and more specifically, the hacking, booming, endless cough that I get with my colds) take forever to resolve. 

One week has passed, in which Ben suggested that I not run until today, and I'm still a coughing machine.  I've coughed so much that I lost my voice for two days and then gave myself a migraine.  I have not, though, cracked a rib like I did several years ago during another violent coughing episode. #gratefulforsmallfavours

As horrible as my cough is, it is not in my chest so I did do today's run, which was meant to be 6x5 minutes with alternating sets of threshold and 10k pace, but I felt for most of it like I just wanted to lie down on the soft grassy verge in the sun and have a nap.  A combination of wind, post-cold lethargy, and sluggish legs from not having run for five days meant that threshold and 10k paces just were not happening, and even a fast jogging pace was a bit of a fantasy.  I was left feeling that if the ultra had been today, I'd have been a DNF.  I've felt so optimistic about this race and today was the first time that I've thought, I'm not going to be able to do it.  And frustratingly, not because of poor training or injury, but a bloody cold.

I'll try to stay focused and try to stay positive - there's still a week to go and surely I'll be a bit perkier by then.  If not....well, let's hope that it's a lovely day for a long walk!

6 comments:

  1. Poor you. You'll do fine in the end - remember Florence. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, but Florence was pre-cold whereas this cold is now at the stage where all of my energy has been sapped from my body. Cough cough, hack hack, sniffle sniffle. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I went on holiday to the States last November I came down with the a cold upon arrival. It took most of the three weeks I was there to recover. I came back and stayed with my daughter in Hastings for 4 days and we both got food poisoning from a Chinese take away. Cheer up! Things could be worse! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ‘Don’t eat the Chinese food’ is excellent advice! And yes, you’re right, things could be worse - I could be running the race with gastroenteritis like I did in Malta. NOTHING will ever be that bad again!

      Delete
  4. You've another week to recover. Keep moving, pamper yourself, and you'll be at the start line as fit as you've ever been, ready to smash your first ever ultra! You are, and will be, amazing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thank you for your optimism and faith in me! I'm going to add 'you are amazing' to my list of mantras (along with the most recent one from Ben - 'Run like a big girl!'). One week to go....aaarrrggghhh! xx

      Delete