Sunday 25 March 2018

What a difference a day makes

After yesterday's debacle, I was seriously leaning towards not going for today's 60 minute easy-effort run.  I tried to convince myself that yesterday's performance - or lack thereof - was an indication that I needed more rest but actually, I just was feeling lazy and didn't fancy moving from the sofa.  Because I couldn't think of a good reason to justify taking today off, and because I knew what Ben would say if I tried, I ended up with no choice but to get dressed and get out the door. 

Within five minutes, I was running into a freezing headwind and being pelted with huge heavy raindrops (no idea where they came from; the sun was out when I left the house) and seriously considering taking myself right back home again.  But we ultra runners scoff at bad weather (when we aren't whingeing about it) and besides, I knew that by the time that I got home the sun would be back out so I put my head down and plodded into the storm.

Sure enough, the sun was soon shining again and because I had plotted a route that was not only mostly downhill or flat but also mostly kept the wind at my back, I ended up with a very enjoyable run.  My legs felt back to normal although I suspect that it might have been another story if I had tried to make them run any quicker or if I had been running into the wind for any length of time.  The crushing fatigue that I felt yesterday seemed to have gone, and I only started to cough (but at a much reduced intensity) once I was back home again.  Phew!  It looks like the race might be on after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment