Wednesday 16 November 2011

Who Ate All The Cake?

The temperature has been hovering around freezing for the past couple of days.  I did yesterday's run on the treadmill at the gym; very warm it was, too, as evidenced by the copious amounts of man-sweat that came my way from the fellow running beside me.  I like a lot of things about going to the gym, but being sweated on by strangers isn't one of them.  Nor is having someone on the treadmill beside me when there are nine other treadmills with no one on them.

To me, this contravenes the unspoken gym etiquette rule of 'always leave a space between you and the other person if at all possible'.  Bassman, however, has pointed out that just because something is a rule in my head does not mean that other people are obliged to follow it.  That's possibly true, but life would run a lot more smoothly (for me, at least) if they did.

Anyway, today's run was outside which meant that I broke out the winter running gear for the first time since last winter.  Now, I know that I have gained weight in the last year or so.  I'm not overweight by any means, but I'm still at least a half-stone heavier than my usual weight.  Not to mention the redistribution of that weight as part of the joy of the middle-aged years.  A lot of my clothes are tighter than they should be, and some I know will never get past  my hips ever again.  (Farewell, lovely Monsoon skirt!)  So perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised to find that my winter running outfit was more than a bit snug too.

I perservered and managed to get the GORE leggings on, squeezed into the GORE mid-layer top, and headed out for my run.  It's a good thing it was only a short one; between the leggings sliding down over my stomach and the top continually rolling up to where my waist used to be, I had serious concerns about frostbite to my exposed middle.  Plus, my gait was hampered by the constant fidgeting to pull various items of clothing back into position.

So, do I buy some running gear in larger sizes?  Do I cut out the cake?  Do I continue to live with the possibly misguided rule of 'Cake that is eaten whilst in training does not count'?  And if I go with that last option, do I then have to redefine 'training' as 'running more than once every couple of weeks'?  They say that the hardest part of a marathon is not the actual race, but the training leading up to it.  I somehow think that cakely issues are going to be more of a challenge to me than any training run could ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment