Monday 20 February 2012

A windy run. Again. Is there any other kind?

When I went to bed last night, I had every intention of going to the gym to run this morning.  I knew that it was going to be very windy again and I desired to avoid the effort that running in the wind requires.  But 10am found me still in my jim-jams, just finishing my first cup of tea, and no indication that I was going anywhere quickly.  Anyway, it was sunny and the trees didn't seem to be blowing around too much and I really don't like running on the treadmill...

Okay, it wasn't this bad, but it was close.
I finally got out the door around 11.  The first half-mile was fine because it was sheltered.  Once on the open road, however, and WHOOSH!  I had a very quick mile and half down to the water with the wind at my back but, as soon as I rounded the corner at Newhall Point, I almost came to a standstill.  I fought my way over the next 1.5 miles.  Sometimes, I had to walk.  At other times, I had to stop until the wind died down.  I stopped several times to stretch my calves which had seized up with the effort of pushing me forward.  And I almost fell over twice when the wind that I was leaning into suddenly disappeared. 

The wind was behind me again for the last half-mile; the Garmin said that I was cruising along at a sub-9 min/mile.  I just have to sustain that for another 26 miles and I'll have my 4:00 marathon!  Fingers crossed for a good tailwind on 22 April.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment