Saturday 21 January 2012

10 miles, more or less

Yesterday's run, again out the Cromarty road, was one that I approached with trepidation.  I was worried about the impact that a long run would have on tendons and muscles that already were feeling not quite right although, psychologically, I was looking forward to it.  But I Sticked my legs before I left the house, gave myself plenty of time to warm up before starting the run, took some raisins to nibble if I got hungry, and agreed with myself that I would follow a planned run/walk pattern for at least the first seven miles.  All sorted.

However, I have a bit more control over my body than I do over technology, and I have absolutely no control over how my mind understands anything to do with numbers.  Although the stop watch started immediately, the GPS in my phone didn't pick up a signal until somewhere towards the end of the first mile, and then flitted in and out until I was well past Jemimaville and out along the water.  I thought that I knew what I was doing; once it kicked in, I was going to run until the GPS said five miles, turn around, and run until it said 10 miles.  I knew that this would end up about a mile and a half from home, giving me a longer cool-down.

What I didn't take into account in this grand plan, and what didn't finally hit me until last night, was that I already had been running for close to a mile before the GPS started up, meaning that I actually ended up running nearer to eleven miles.  And, considering how difficult the running this week has been, I felt really good.  A bit of stiffness here and there, but no pain, and I even ran the last five miles five minutes faster than I ran the first five miles.

Last night's post-run soreness in my achilles tendon and the pain in whatever muscle it is that sits at the top of and a bit behind my hip bone (which seizes up if I sit down for too long) have pretty much disappeared today.  Today and Sunday are rest days, and next week is a planned reduced mileage week.  I'm almost disappointed that the long run will only be seven miles.

4 comments:

  1. Well done on the 11 miles! Isn't it great when that sort of miscalculation happens. Really enjoying your blog (along with Bassman's, which I've been reading for a long time). I remember meeting you a few years ago at a photography weekend at the Cally Palace - when Bassman had to borrow a tie to be allowed to eat in the formal dining room! :-) Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cathy! It's rare that my mathematical inability works out to my advantage, so I was quite pleased by this. (And yes, I remember the Great Tie Scandal - Bassman still chunters about it occasionally.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased to hear you say you are enjoying the training, that you got the timing wrong in your favour is a bonus. Keep it up, keep enjoying it and just think how pleased you will be with the end result. (Bassman chunter ? surely not ! )

      Delete
  3. Success means never having to wear a tie.

    ReplyDelete