Sunday 8 January 2012

It's raining, but I'm smiling

I'm back in Shetland, land of the horizontal rain.  It's like I never left - the wind is howling, the rain is torrentially pouring, and my jeans were soaked through just walking from the plane to the terminal.  The only thing it's not doing is snowing, but I'm sure that's just a matter of time. Still, as an aspiring glass-half-full person, allow me to focus on the positives.

I was met at the airport by my favourite taxi driver and we had a wide-ranging and interesting conversation on the half-hour drive into Lerwick.  We covered a new career direction for Bassman (offering photography/writing/publish-your-own-book classes on cruise ships; apparently partners of the class-givers get to accompany them for free); why, when one has given up drinking, buying tulips as a treat after a rough day just doesn't give one the same pleasure as a gin & tonic; whether we should do a house-exchange so that I can see if I like living in Shetland and she can enjoy being a bit closer to exotic things like cinemas and shops; and how her phone-sex job is going (quite well, I'm sure you'll be pleased to know). 

By that time we were in Lerwick, where she very kindly took me to the Tesco and waited for me in the taxi while I did my shop for the week so that I didn't have to walk there and back in the rain from the flat.  And then she carried my heavy suitcase to the front door for me.

Entertaining, thoughtful, and able to lift heavy objects - my kind of woman!

2 comments:

  1. You arrange the cruise classes and I'll be there! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll get right onto it...but first I might need to sort out my sea sickness issues, which I seem to have forgotten about in the excitement of talking about free holidays. xx

    ReplyDelete