Tuesday 8 January 2013

I'm only blogging because Janathon says I have to

Today was my first day back at work after almost three weeks off.  A very disrupted night due to poor Maia coughing and wheezing at 11pm and again at 5.45am (she fell back asleep after each episode finished; I lay awake worrying about her and alert to any changes in her breathing) left me shattered by the time I had to get up to go to the gym.  Damn you, Janathon and my overdeveloped sense of responsibility.

There was thick fog for most of the drive into town.  Between that and the seemingly endless queue of traffic over the Kessock Bridge, a journey that usually takes half an hour took twice as long.  It was a relief to finally arrive at the gym.  My goal for today was to use the elliptical trainer in place of a run.  I realised a couple of years ago that my legs can't handle consecutive runs anymore; I only did three runs/week for last year's marathon training and I don't think that was enough to build the strength and stamina that I needed.  So, for this year's attempt, I decided to keep to my three runs/week but to add in a session on the elliptical as well, in the hopes that this would fill in the gap somewhat.

There were only three people in the gym when I got there, which brightened my mood.  I did 11 minutes on the bike and 30 minutes on the elliptical, which would have been the length of time that I would have run today if I were even five years younger.  And, of course, I did my stretches.

And then I went to work.  And then I came home and worked some more.  When the highlight of the day was 40 minutes at the gym watching 'Wanted Down Under,' you know that it was a bleh kind of day.

Bring on tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment