Saturday 5 January 2013

Janathon Day 5 (with the help of cats)

I suspected that this would be the most challenging day of the Janathon, and I was right.  Saturdays are normally days to curl up on the sofa, drink tea, read, and maybe watch a film on telly; they are not days to exercise.  I was hopeful, though, that with a bit of creative thinking I could have my cake and eat it too.  (Metaphorically, people, metaphorically!  The NoMoreCake-athon is still in effect, I haven't had any cake in DAYS, and am wasting away before my very eyes.  But I digress...)

Here's what I did on Day 5:

1.  Squats:  Because the cats aren't using the cat-flap yet (the kittens are too young to be given unlimited access to the great outdoors), they need to be let in and out by one of their servants.  Being cats, they find this hilarious and delight in yowling at the door, being let out, then yowling to be let back in.  (Ignore them?  Don't be silly.)  Between 9.00-9.30am, I was up and down from the sofa over 20 times, which was an excellent opportunity to practice my squat technique. 



Going Home
Heading home after yesterday's walk
2.  Going for a walk:  All of the previous cats at the Rural Retreat have been walking cats, and we are in the process of teaching Maia, Pandora, and Willow to walk with us up the lanes and through the woods as well.  We took them on an hour-long walk yesterday (after my 5 mile run, I hasten to add), but today's walk was only about half that long.  Still, as I wasn't sitting on the sofa, it counts.
 
3.  Stretches and core exercises:  Since my legs had been warmed up from the walk, I figured I might as well take advantage and do my stretches (20 minutes) and use the foam roller (5 minutes).  And since I was already on the floor, I figured I might as well do my core exercises too (10 minutes).  Extra resistance was added by Willow, who likes to sit on my chest when I'm lying on my back.  Very helpful.

Gentle exercise and still time to sit about doing nothing.  Not a bad day at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment